Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Lesson to Learn

As we get ready for the State of the Union address by the President, and with a number of contenders already declaring their intention to seek the highest office, maybe they can all learn from Lincoln's Gettysburg address.

This excerpt is from a book I'm reading entitled "Eyewitness to America" edited by David Colbert who wrote this about Lincoln's address on page 227: "The Gettysburg Address was rated by its first audience as a dud. Edward Everett, the popular orator who held the stage before Lincoln spoke, was one of the few who immediately saw its brilliance. He later sent the president a short note: "I should be glad if I could flatter myself that I came as near to the central idea of the occasion in two hours as you did in two minutes."

No comments: