Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Flat Stanley



Earlier this year, I participated in a "Flat Stanley" project sent to me by Caleb, a student in Mrs. Chastain's class at Lake Park Elementary School in Putnam City. As the story goes, Stanley was flattened when a chalkboard fell on him. He is now flat enough to be sent in envelopes all over the world. Stanley is used mainly for writing and geography lessons, or, as in this case, a lesson about what work people do in the local community. http://www.flatstanley.com/

The kids will cut out a replica of a small boy and color him. Then they will send Flat Stanley, and a letter with occupational questions, to a person in their community. It's the responsibility of the person receiving the letter to answer the questions, take some pictures of Flat Stanley in his or her work environment, and send them back to the student.

I took Flat Stanley to Washington, D. C. and we were able to take pictures at the Capitol as well as with Congressmen Boren and Cole. The pictures were put into a little booklet and sent to Caleb so he and his classmates could learn about some of the things I do as OEA President.

Today I had the privilege of meeting Caleb. Caleb is a very polite and bright young man. I let him know how much I appreciated him sending me Flat Stanley and how much I enjoyed putting the picture booklet together. Caleb told me that he had fun with it and then he wished me a Merry Christmas.

I want to thank Mrs. Chastain and Caleb for including me in their project. I'm glad that I was able to help out.

No comments: